Plant Diseases/apple

Hi,you have been in India,its great. I am here with one more query.i want to drench roots of apple trees because i think there are insects beneath trees.somebody told me to use lime for drenching and some told to use poision.tell me what and how to use to kill insects so as to save roots

Dear Vivek, I got to spend time with my cousin from Dehradun - she is still here.  Anyway, first if you think you have bugs in the soil, make sure there are no weeds or fallen leaves lying around.  A clean orchard is very important.  Then you could a soil drench using NEEM which will get rid of any bugs and any fungus in the soil.  I think you can get NEEM cake easily where you are and I think that would be good.  By the way, have you ever heard of Hidden Rose apple?  These apples are red in the middle and are very good.  It would be great if you could get some graft of that and start growing them.  I hope the pears are also doing well. Good to hear from you and Happy New Year!  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.