Plant Diseases/apple

Question
Hi.i read in newspaper to spray apple trees after prunning copper sulphate and with hydrated lime.why to spray apple trees with above chemical.

Answer
Dear Vivek, Spray apple trees with copper in the spring when the trees begin to bud. The copper sulfate makes a protective barrier for the leaves and fruit. Keep the fungus from developing by keeping the leaves and fruit well coated. Continue to spray every five to seven days until the apples reach 1/2 inch in diameter.  Don't spray after the apples get 1/2 inch in diameter because it can damage the fruit and leaves after that. Follow manufacturer recommendations carefully for the particular product you purchase.
For the lime, you would add that to the soil to help make the soil less acid.  First you need to take a soil test to find out what your soil pH is. Then you will know how much lime you need to move your soil back to a neutral pH 6.5 that offers plants the greatest access to soil nutrients.

From 'The Garden Helper'
To increase your pH by 1.0 point and make your soil more alkaline.
Add 4 oz of hydrated lime per square yard in sandy soils
Add 8 oz of hydrated lime per square yard in loamy soils
Add 12 oz of hydrated lime per square yard in clay soils
Add 25 oz of hydrated lime per square yard in peaty soils

So if your pH reading were 5.5, and you had clay soils, you would add 12 oz of hydrated lime per square yard.  If it were 4.5, you would add 24 oz.  #I'm sure it's not that low.#  Now if your pH were 6.5 to 7.0, do nothing in regards to the pH.
I hope this information helps you.  You might want to keep a notebook to log everything done in your orchard, plus maybe add chemical labels, any letters from me or any other source, etc. so that you can keep a good record of what you do in your garden.  Plus you can use the dates that you applied chemicals in the past as a good idea of when to apply them in the coming years.  I hope this helps you.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston