Plant Diseases/bi colooured apple

Royal Gala Apple
Royal Gala Apple  
We picked up an apple the same as the one you talked about in May 2012. We purchased this apple, unintentionally, in Dec 2012, in Ontario.  What are the chances that this is becoming more common?

Hi Barb,

Since you have found this condition both times in a Gala-type apple, I suspect that this cultivar has a tendency to have this mutation.  Since it uncommonly occurs (or we would see it much more often), I would guess that the frequency is low (less than 1-2%).  If breeders felt this trait were desirable, they may try to grow new plants from the seed to determine if the progeny also carry the trait. You could try to grow the seed yourself but it will take many years for fruit to develop.  I suspect that the mutation will not be transmitted to the seed or breeders would have already developed this type of apple.

Plant Diseases

Jennifer Olson

Plant diseases affecting vegetables, fruits, nuts, lawns, trees, shrubs and ornamental plants. I have just volunteered as an expert on this site as of 01/2011.

Identification and management of plant diseases. Have been employed as a Plant Disease Diagnostician since 2002 and currently work in the Plant Disease and Insect Diagnostic Laboratory at the Oklahoma State University.

National Plant Diagnostic Network, Great Plains Diagnostic Network

B.S. Biology - Lebanon Valley College; M.S. Plant and Soil Sciences,concentration Plant Pathology - University of Delaware; Ph.D. in progress - Oklahoma State University.

Home gardeners, Hobbiests, Plant Breeders, Extension Educators, Nurseries, Greenhouses, Golf Courses, Departments of Agriculture, Industry professionals