Plant Diseases/Endosporium Leaf Spot?

Hey Melissa,

Is this leaf spot as well on these Indian Hawthorne shrubs? What are the chances of crown and root rot happening?

Dear Susan, Yes this is some leaf spot developing on this Indian hawthorne.  In addition, do you notice the distinct veining on the leaf with lighter margins?  This condition is known as chlorosis, and you will find it on many acid loving plants like gardenia and roses.  When you see this sign, it is an alert that the plant is low on trace minerals.  I like to give them a blast of Ironite which is a great quick remedy for this situation.  The reddish spots are signs of the leaf spot.  I have almost never seen crown or root rot happening on Indian hawthornes  regardless of the situation.  If you have a very badly defoliated plant that doesn't start leafing out after fungicide treatment, you might just pull it out and replace that one.  Otherwise, I doubt that you will have much rot occurring.  Most rots are influenced by overly wet conditions and your fungicide spraying should inhibit most soil pathogens.  I hope your hawthornes are doing better.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.