Plant Diseases/Endosporium Leaf Spot?

Question
Rhaps
Rhaps  
Hey Melissa,

Is this leaf spot as well on these Indian Hawthorne shrubs? What are the chances of crown and root rot happening?

Answer
Dear Susan, Yes this is some leaf spot developing on this Indian hawthorne.  In addition, do you notice the distinct veining on the leaf with lighter margins?  This condition is known as chlorosis, and you will find it on many acid loving plants like gardenia and roses.  When you see this sign, it is an alert that the plant is low on trace minerals.  I like to give them a blast of Ironite which is a great quick remedy for this situation.  The reddish spots are signs of the leaf spot.  I have almost never seen crown or root rot happening on Indian hawthornes  regardless of the situation.  If you have a very badly defoliated plant that doesn't start leafing out after fungicide treatment, you might just pull it out and replace that one.  Otherwise, I doubt that you will have much rot occurring.  Most rots are influenced by overly wet conditions and your fungicide spraying should inhibit most soil pathogens.  I hope your hawthornes are doing better.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston