Plant Diseases/growth of fingus on oak tree

Question
round ball about 8 to 10 inches has grown on the north side of my 300 yr old oak tree it appears to have a fuzzie surface and it is round protruding from the tree where the bark is split going to the branches above. i have a photograph if you need to see it it is orange and white colored the fuzzie surface almost look like tentacles thank you

Answer
Dear Ken,  I'm not sure what kind, but you obviously have a fungal growth on your oak tree.  For the most part they don't damage the tree by themselves, but they are often indicators of damage on your tree.  You mention that it is near a split in the tree.  Is there a damaged limb growing near this area?  I would probably inspect the tree for damage and remove the growth.  It could also be some sort of gall which is harboring young insects inside.  Either way, your tree would probably benefit by removing it.  I hope this information helps.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston