Plant Diseases/fertilizer

Hi.this year i am planning to fertilize apple trees with calcium nitrate instead of nitrogen.Am i right.what is difference in both.which is best.

Dear Vivek, Calcium nitrate is much better to use than the nitrogen.  Calcium nitrate contains both calcium and nitrogen, and the nitrate form of nitrogen is much easier for the plants to use, especially in clay soils.  Calcium will help improve the soil, including helping to break down clay soils, increases the disease resistance of the trees, and will increase the storage life of the fruit.  The plain nitrogen can cause excessive growth and increased possibility of developing fire blight, as well as not being able to be absorbed as easily as the calcium nitrate.  So definitely, calcium nitrate is by far the better choice.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.