Plant Diseases/organic

Question
Hi.i have changed to sheep manure this year from cow manure on apple orchard.what is comparison between both.which is best for my orchard.which out of two are rich in nutrients.

Answer
Dear Vivek, Basically, sheep manure and cow manure will be very similar.  The cow manure may be higher in nitrogen, which isn't a great choice for apple and pear trees as they are higher in nitrogen.  The sheep manure would be an excellent choice to manure your apple trees. Sheep manure has many benefits: it is low in nitrogen which can make apples susceptible to fire blight and other diseases, but it is very high in phosphorus and potassium (the P and K in the fertilizer) which will give you more and better apples. It is also less expensive compared with other manure. One of the biggest "problems" with it is that sheep manure often has a lot of weed seeds in it, but since you are using this under apple trees, I don't think that will be a problem at all. If you were using it in vegetable beds, it could make things difficult, but you can easily weed or mow under the apples.  So in your case the sheep manure would be better because of the lower nitrogen, plus it should be much less expensive.  Just be sure to keep the weeds down between the trees.  Good luck, and write back if you have more questions.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston