Plant Diseases/little bugs

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the advice!
But to be honest I dont think the bugs you described are the same ones "bugging" me. The bugs on the lemon plant dont have any wings, but do jump. They do not grow bigger than 1mm and have a light grey shinny (tough looking) armor.

Dear Martina, It sounds like these are springtails.  Springtails are very tiny bugs which used to be classified as insects, but have recently been reclassified.  They usually aren't seen in enough numbers that you would actually notice them.  Are these plants in the house?  One thing I noticed is that they will be in areas that are damp, so make sure they aren't hiding in the spaces between pots and containers.  They could also be in damp areas of your house, such as a laundry room or leaky area under the sink, so be sure to check there too.  You can get rid of these bugs by sprinkling on diatomaceous earth which will dry them out quickly, keep things drier for a few days, and you could also spray/drench plants with NEEM. I hope this works for you.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.