Plant Diseases/Indian Hawthorne plant

We have numerous Indian Hawthorn plants in our yard. Some have developed leaf spot (numerous brown spots on the leaves) and the leaf coverage on the bush seems to be only about 30% of what it should be.  Is this enough information to recommend a treatment?

Dear Jerry, This is absolutely enough information for me to tell you that your Indian hawthorns have Entomosporium, a fungal infection.  There are several things you should do to get rid of this infection.  First, you need to keep the ground area around the bushes very clean of fallen leaves.  These fallen leaves are full of the fungal spores which are easily spread this way.  Make sure you only water the plants as necessary, (I live in Texas so I appreciate how hot it is in Georgia) and keep the water off the foliage as much as possible.  Also, you definitely need to spray with a strong fungicide, but remove as much of the diseased fallen leaves as possible first.  Spray with a chemical product that contains the active ingredient Chlorothalonil, Proprioconozole, or thiophanate-methyl.  It will probably mention Indian hawthorn leafspot on the label information.  Be sure to read all the directions.  You will need to spray about every week to 10 days for a month or so, until you no longer see affected leaves, but this can be cured.  I hope this information helps, and be sure to write back if you have further questions.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.