Plant Diseases/Magnolia tree

Magnolia Tree
Magnolia Tree  
Dr. Vann

--Our magnolia tree is in trouble.  Over the past 2 years we have noticed a decrease in the number of leaves that come out in the spring and a decrease in the number of flowers that the tree develops.
--It looks to have a fungus growing on it, but to my understanding that should be nothing to worry about.
--There are little yellow dots toward the base (trunk) of the tree where some of the bark is missing.
--I have included photos of the problem tree.  Is there a fungicide or other treatment to apply to this tree?  Or is it too late and cutting it down is the best option?
--Please feel free to ask any questions or ask for more detailed photos.

The trunk area near the soil line does appear to show evidence of decay- probably the result of an old wound.  Wounds can provide easy access of insects and disease organisms into the tree that can setup decay.  Decay is often a slow, yet progressive process that can start with numerous bacteria and/or fungal organisms.  Trees can last a long time with decay- up to a point, then they may fail during a wind storm or ice.  Nothing can reverse the process once it starts.  If trees are growing vigorously, they can "wall off" the decay processes to some extent. Preventing wounds is the best method.  Ultimately, the tree will become weaker and may fail.  Removal becomes the best option, especially if person or property damage is a possibility.

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann

Plant Diseases and Disorders of Lawn Grasses, Trees, Vegetables,and Ornamentals

Plant Diseases Identification and Management

B.S. Botany --- Miss. State Univ. M.S. Plant Pathology --- Miss. State Univ. Ph.D. Plant Pathology --- Texas A & M Univ.