Plant Diseases/vinca's are dying

Question
The leaves are wilting and when I pulled them out there was tiny white specks in the soil around the roots. I live in central Florida and there has been a lot of rain, the pots do have good drainage though.

Answer
Dear Pat, Vincas or periwinkles can survive very extreme conditions - however, wet is not one of them.  If the vincas are much more wilted than they were when you first wrote a few days ago, pull them up immediately and throw them out with the trash.  Do not compost them.  In all likelihood they have contracted some fungal disease, possibly Phytophthora.  This disease is pretty much impossible to get rid of once it starts.  Either way, the fact that it has been so wet is not good for vincas.  General rule of thumb would be: if by now they are better and it is drier, then carry on and keep the plants.  If they are worse, pull them up and you will have to plant something else there for a while.  I hope this information helps.  Let me know if you have further questions.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston