Plant Diseases/Japaneese Maple

Question
Patches
Patches  

Leaves
Leaves  
My Japanese Maple tree is dying. The tree has some kind of bark disease with black patches and bark separating from the xylem. The leaves also just wither and die, with a scorched, dry look.

Can I save this tree?

Answer
Steven:
These black patches strongly resemble a fungus called Hypoxylon.  This fungus causes a canker on many hardwood trees.  Google this name and look for some photos to compare to your tree. It is usually classified as a secondary pathogen, that is it attackes weakened trees rather than a primary invader.  These patches are hard and crusty.  If this is the correct fungus, it attacks trees that are weakened from something else and the tree will not recover.  Sanitational removal is suggested.

Regards
Steve

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann