Plant Diseases/apple

Advertisement


Question
Hi.I was using calcium ammonium nitrate fertilizer for my apple trees for so long but from last year due to heavy cost of it,I applied ammoniacal nitrogen 1.1% nitrate nitrogen 14.4% total nitrogen 15.5% .is this fertilizer is alternate of what I used to apply earlier,or I use some other for nitrogen for my apple orchards.

Answer
Dear Vivek, For the most part, if the new form of nitrogen is about 15.5% and the calcium ammonium nitrate formula was near the same concentration, then the application would be similar.  So if your calcium nitrate was around 15% and the new nitrogen is around 15% then the results would be about the same.  The actual differences between the two chemicals is really a senior level chemistry question, and I don't have that expertise.  But there would naturally be many forms of nitrogen available to you, and it is fine to use the cheapest ones.  There is also urea available; I think the only real difference with that is you have to water it in pretty quickly for it to be effective.  So if you have a cheaper nitrogen source I think that is a good idea, because you will have more profit.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Melissa Johnston

Expertise

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

Experience

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Organizations
Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

Publications
none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Education/Credentials
Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Awards and Honors
Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past/Present Clients
Past member of Allexperts.com and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.