Plant Diseases/apple

Question
Hi.I have purchase scarlet spur and M793 apple variety.What are these variety and how and where to grow.

Answer
Dear Vivek, Congratulations on your new trees.  The scarlet spur is a very good apple with very dark red skin, and crisp white flesh.  It will start coloring early, probably in September.  Golden Delicious is a good pollinator for this tree, although I am sure there are others.  This is an apple that will grow in cooler as well as warmer climates, so it must not need a lot of chilling hours where the temperature gets below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.  This tree should be grown as a graft.  The M793 is a good rootstock.  It is better suited to bad soil that is heavy or has lots of clay.  By the 5th year, it will have strong fruit production.  It is a taller growing rootstock, so you will need to regularly prune it.  The combination of graft and rootstock should give you a lot of apples in about 5 years.  The apples look somewhat similar to red delicious, although larger, and probably much tastier.  I wish you very good luck with your trees.  Otherwise I would just give them the same type of care as your other trees.  I hope this helps - write back if you have more questions.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston