Plant Diseases/apple

Hi.I have purchase scarlet spur and M793 apple variety.What are these variety and how and where to grow.

Dear Vivek, Congratulations on your new trees.  The scarlet spur is a very good apple with very dark red skin, and crisp white flesh.  It will start coloring early, probably in September.  Golden Delicious is a good pollinator for this tree, although I am sure there are others.  This is an apple that will grow in cooler as well as warmer climates, so it must not need a lot of chilling hours where the temperature gets below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.  This tree should be grown as a graft.  The M793 is a good rootstock.  It is better suited to bad soil that is heavy or has lots of clay.  By the 5th year, it will have strong fruit production.  It is a taller growing rootstock, so you will need to regularly prune it.  The combination of graft and rootstock should give you a lot of apples in about 5 years.  The apples look somewhat similar to red delicious, although larger, and probably much tastier.  I wish you very good luck with your trees.  Otherwise I would just give them the same type of care as your other trees.  I hope this helps - write back if you have more questions.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.