Plant Diseases/Apple

Hi. After long time I need your help, what is best time to fertilize apple trees whether in winter when the tree is in dormant and when the tree is reviving back in March. What the science says and when the trees intake the fertilizer. Actually I am late this time as I could not fertilize yet due to reason my mother passed away and now I am thinking to fertilize in Feb or March. Can I do so or is it exception.

Dear Vivek, I am extremely sorry to hear about your mother's passing.  You have my deep sympathy for your loss.  The best times to fertilize the apple trees is twice a year: once at bud break which will be in about two months and again in May.  Other than that, you shouldn't fertilize them.  At this time of year, the fertilizer can make the tree start growing when it is too cold and the tree will be damaged.  I still think the sheep fertilizer is definitely the best type for your area, and it isn't too strong for the trees.  I wish you a good new year.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.