Plant Diseases/Apple

Question
Hi. After long time I need your help, what is best time to fertilize apple trees whether in winter when the tree is in dormant and when the tree is reviving back in March. What the science says and when the trees intake the fertilizer. Actually I am late this time as I could not fertilize yet due to reason my mother passed away and now I am thinking to fertilize in Feb or March. Can I do so or is it exception.

Answer
Dear Vivek, I am extremely sorry to hear about your mother's passing.  You have my deep sympathy for your loss.  The best times to fertilize the apple trees is twice a year: once at bud break which will be in about two months and again in May.  Other than that, you shouldn't fertilize them.  At this time of year, the fertilizer can make the tree start growing when it is too cold and the tree will be damaged.  I still think the sheep fertilizer is definitely the best type for your area, and it isn't too strong for the trees.  I wish you a good new year.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston