Plant Diseases/plant disease

I've attached 2 photos of my Yellow Trumpet (in Arizona) - I've noticed the last 5 months it has white stuff on the leaves.  Is this normal for the winter, or do you think it has a disease? The second picture shows it best, I think.  I moved to the house last Sept. Thanks

Dear Patty, There are several plants with the common name Yellow Trumpet, but I think what we are looking at is the one also commonly named esperanza (meaning hope in Spanish), as the leaves and stems look most like this plant.  Its scientific name is Tecoma stans.  Anyway, this is a favorite plant of mine.  I think what you are seeing on this plant is mostly freeze burn.  This will turn the leaves white and colorless.  It's a temporary condition as the plant will withstand light freezes, but it does get some damage from it.  Looking closely at the leaves, you will also notice some ragged type edges that indicate some sort of pests eating on it.  This is probably not a big problem as this plant doesn't usually have many pests or diseases, but you could spray the plant with Spinosad every few weeks if you notice fresh damage.  Spinosad is organic and will kill bugs that you know are feeding, but you don't usually see such as grasshoppers and thrips which fly off after the meal.  At this point, I honesty wouldn't worry about it, but be sure to let me know if you have new symptoms or if you have other questions.  I hope this information is helpful.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.