Plant Diseases/pomegranate

Hi.I am planning to grow pomegranate for commercial purpose.Which type of soil and climate is required and how and when it can be planted.

Dear Vivek, Pomegranates are an excellent crop for you to consider.  They are pretty easy trees to grow.  They need little pruning except for sucker growth, and I would prune the lowest branches off.  They grow about 10-12 feet high, and are great at withstanding heat and poor soil.  You will need to make sure the water is decent from the late summer and early fall, when it is likely to be very dry, and the fruit is getting larger.  These trees will take several years to produce.  My family has a small ranch is a very dry area of Texas, and there were a few pomegranates on the land.  After many years when the area was mostly abandoned and only used to run cattle on, the pomegranate trees were still thriving and bearing fruit.  I wish you very good luck with the pomegranates.  I think you will do very well with them.  Let me know if you have more questions.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.