Plant Diseases/apple

Question
Hi.l live in himachal Pradesh which is situated in northern side of India.it is state of  hills and high altitude I live in shimla which is capital of Himachal.this state is known for apple farming in India and people like me are wholly or partly dependent on apples.where I live ,experience snow in January to Feb and best suitable for apples.

Answer
Dear Vivek, Thank you for reminding me which state you live in.  I hope this information will be helpful to you.  It seems that in Himalchal Pradesh 80% of the apple crop is Red Delicious, which is a mid-season apple.  So to get an early start, you would want to grow an early season apple.  The recommended ones are Tydeman's early with Michal (or Michael) as a pollinator, Molies Delicious, Schlomit, and Starkrimson.  I believe the early maturing of the tree itself will depend largely on what rootstock the tree is grown on.  The best would be M9, which is dwarfing, but this should be used in high density and irrigated areas only.  Otherwise it looks like MM111 will be your best bet.  However, what I really want to tell you is that I have found this great website on growing apples in your region <http://fruitipedia.com/apple%20Malus%20pumila.htm>. It mentions a lot of new varieties that are being tried for different disease resistances, higher density planting, as well many other topics of great interest.  Let me know if you are unable to access it and I will print it out in an answer to you.  I hope this is helpful to you, if not, please let me know whatever I can do to assist you.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston