Plant Diseases/apple

Question
Hi Melissa I always found your suggestion helpful.I want to plant tydeman apple variety in new land.what is tydeman variety its growing condition and whether it can be grafted on any rootstock.

Answer
Dear Vivek, Happy belated Holi Fest!  I actually attended a small celebration in America.  Tydeman's early looks like a pretty good apple.  It is a cross between McIntosh and Worcester Pearmain.  It ripens late August to early September, producing medium to large apples.  It has a thin, shiny, dark red skin.  Some have described the skin as bitter, most do not.  The flesh is juicy and firm, though not particularly crisp, with a mild flavor.  It is also described as partially self-fertile, but as I understand, it still needs a pollinator, and Michaels or Michals is recommended.  It is very highly resistant to rust, but may be susceptible to fire blight, so if that is a big problem in your area, you might need a different variety.  It will be about 90 to 120 days from bloom to harvest.  It is not known to store very well, and they recommend that you store it at freezing or close to freezing temperatures.  You should sell off your harvest quickly to prevent quality loss, but if these apples are ripe before most of the other apples are ready, that shouldn't be a problem.  A mix of Tydeman's Early, Red Gold, and Golden Delicious is recommended for Himalchal Pradesh.  I presume that is so you can have early, middle, and late ripening varieties. I am not seeing anything that suggests it is limited to rootstock, so you should be able to graft it on any available rootstock.  I hope this information is helpful.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston