Plant Diseases/cape honeysuckle

My cape honeysuckle was transplanted 2 weeks ago.  A week prior to the transplant it had flowers, and then did not have any for awhile  (normal for that plant in my yard).  Since the transplant, it has no flowers yet and the leaves are falling off.  It was watered well.  Any ideas if it has a chance of making a comeback?  Thanks

Dear Patty, Sometimes transplants work, sometimes they don't.  It's not a good sign that the leaves are falling off.  If the wood is brittle, then it is dead; but if it still bends, there is a chance that it could recover.  Sometimes watering in root stimulator will help a new transplant take hold, so if you have some bend in the stems, then there is a chance that this will help.  It might have been a bit early to transplant, since this has been a much colder winter than usual, but if you are in a warmer region of Arizona, that probably isn't the case.  At any rate, if the wood is still bending and not brittle, then you have a chance that the transplant will recover; if not, I would try to plant another one.  I hope this information helps you.  Feel free to ask me more questions any time.  Good luck, Meissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.