Plant Diseases/plant identification

Hi Melissa,

I once again need your expertise for plant identification.

Hope u doing well.

Dear Aytek, This is one of my favorite plants - it is a gardenia.  These have fragrant white blooms sometimes in the spring, sometimes in summer, and occasionally you may get several blooms throughout the year.  This gardenia is showing some early signs of chlorosis - which is when the veins of the leaf appear green, and the margins of the leaf are lighter.  To correct this condition apply a source of iron - Ironite if you can find it; otherwise you should be able to find a good source in most garden supply centers.  Otherwise the plant looks very healthy.  Keep them in as much light as possible to encourage blooming, and they are heavy feeders so you should fertilize frequently.  Please let me know if you have further questions.  I am quite well except for many hard freezes this winter.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.