Plant Diseases/Japanese Maple fungus?

Japanese Maple Disease
Japanese Maple Disease  
I live south of Atlanta GA and was concerned my two year old Japanese maple, which should be putting on new growth, didn't appear to be showing any color at all. I examined it and discovered a lot of thin, whitish (moldy looking) tendrils on the branches and trunk.
Is this a mold or an insect problem and how serious is it?

Thanks a lot!

Carefully remove a few of these "tendrils" and look for a tiny hole in the bark where the tendril originates.  If you see a very tiny hole, this may be evidence of ambrosia beetle, a boring insect that can attack many thin barked trees.  "Google" ambrosia beetle to see these tendril like structures.  I do not recognize these structures as a disease organism.  There is a lot of information on the internet about this critter.

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann

Plant Diseases and Disorders of Lawn Grasses, Trees, Vegetables,and Ornamentals

Plant Diseases Identification and Management

B.S. Botany --- Miss. State Univ. M.S. Plant Pathology --- Miss. State Univ. Ph.D. Plant Pathology --- Texas A & M Univ.