Plant Diseases/Espaliered Apple Tree

Question
Tree
Tree  
I planted an Espaliered Apple Tree 3 years ago. It's center limb was getting very tall(7 feet) so I called the florist I bought it from and asked if I should prune it when I pruned the rest, They said yes. So I cut about a foot off. That was 3 weeks ago and today I noticed the leaves wilting. I'm wondering if my pruning did damage and if there's anything I can do or is it doomed? Photo is before pruning
Thank you for your time.
Syracuse, NY

Answer
Roger:

Removing a foot is unlikely to kill the tree.  I think you will be OK.  The wound should heal fine.  You should get the development of lateral sprouts from this area if the tree is in otherwise a vigorous state of health.  Do monitor water levels if the soil is dry.  Also watch for the development of browning bark in streaks below this cut area.  It could indicate entry of a disease organism.

Regards
Steve

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann