Plant Diseases/trumpet flowers

Question
I have to trumpet flowers that I bring In every fall because I live in Wisconsin. They have never bloomed, This fall they had some white stuff on the back of the leaves. The leaves all fall off when I bring them indoors. The new leaves had a white substance on the back of the leaves and now there are black spots. What can I do to get rid of this. I would like to know what it is.

Answer
Hi Peggy,

Sorry for not answering you sooner, I have been out of town.

It is not unusual for plants to drop leaves when brought into the very dry environment of a home.  With the very low light conditions, and the low relative humidity, many plants are hypersensitive and drop all their leaves.

The white substance on the back of leaves (and the black spots as well) is most likely a fungus.  It is hard to know which it is.  There are some systemic fungicides available, but when the plant is not actively growing, that just produces more stress for the plant.  Soap and water to remove fungal residue. Then wait for SPRING.

To encourage blooming, there must be adequate sunlight, water, and nutrients.  Place the plant gradually (over the course of a week or two) in spring into a high light spot.  

Plant Diseases

John Cawly