Plant Diseases/magnolia tree

The tree has lost all it's leafs but still has the velvet tips that seem to be seperating with little branches. Is the tree dead?

Dear Lester, I believe your tree is fine.  I think what you have is a deciduous magnolia, one of about 40 varieties.  They have beautiful flowers in the spring.  They will lose their leaves in the fall just like any deciduous tree, and will grow new leaves in the spring.  The flowers take a long time to develop, so that is why you see the velvet tips already.  You will want to reduce watering in the winter and just allow the tree to be dormant.  In the spring, you will usually see the blooms on the tree before you have any leaves.  Enjoy the beautiful display.  Write back if you have more questions.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.