Plant Diseases/magnolia tree

Question
The tree has lost all it's leafs but still has the velvet tips that seem to be seperating with little branches. Is the tree dead?

Answer
Dear Lester, I believe your tree is fine.  I think what you have is a deciduous magnolia, one of about 40 varieties.  They have beautiful flowers in the spring.  They will lose their leaves in the fall just like any deciduous tree, and will grow new leaves in the spring.  The flowers take a long time to develop, so that is why you see the velvet tips already.  You will want to reduce watering in the winter and just allow the tree to be dormant.  In the spring, you will usually see the blooms on the tree before you have any leaves.  Enjoy the beautiful display.  Write back if you have more questions.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston