Plant Diseases/red apple ground cover

I have a fairly large slope that I planted with red apple ground cover about 5 months ago. I grew in beautifully and 4 1/2 months later it looked great, full and vibrant green. Wthin two to three weeks it suddenly started to die off. It went from looking healhy to pale and dying. It start in one area and seens to be spreading throughout the slope.

Dear Karen, There are several things that could have gone wrong with your red apple ground cover.  The first thing that comes to mind is the temperature.  If the temperature has been dipping below 50 degrees at night, that can cause the plants to die out.  They also will grow best with extra water, and yet too much water can cause root rot and that will kill them fairly quickly.  These plants like a poor soil which would be more alkaline.  They don't require fertilization, don't add anything to the soil because they will have trouble growing.  My best guess would have to be the temperature getting too low or the plants getting too wet.  I hope this information helps you, but write back if you have more questions.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.