Plant Diseases/Potted patio Myers lemon tree

Question
My tree is growing very large leaves. The plant is about 5 years old . I cut it back to the trunk because of this and no lemon production. Now it is producing leaves 3 times the size of normal leaves and does not produce a single blossom.
Help
Hal

Answer
Dear Hal, Please forgive this late response.  I'm not sure what you are basing the leaf size on.  Could it be possible that you purchased a grapefruit tree instead?  I have worked for numerous garden centers in the past, and it isn't uncommon for a plant to be mislabeled.  That being said, a Meyer lemon will take about 5 to 7 years before it starts producing.  When you cut the tree back, you cut the tree's progress towards becoming a mature enough tree.  Additionally, the tree will mature faster if it is in the ground.  If you are in northern Florida, you could protect the tree from cold by planting close to the house in a sunny location.  They grow outdoors quite well in most parts of Texas.  Unfortunately, sometimes with plants the very hardest thing is to be patient.  Don't get me started about the fruit trees I purchased in the last two years that are still a long way from producing.  Resist the urge to cut the tree back (you are also cutting back the places where the tree will bloom), put it in the ground if you possibly can, and just wait.  I hope this information helps.  Let me know if you have further question.  Good luck, Melissa

I'm sorry, but in your original question, you said that the tree is about 5 years old.  You also didn't say that it had already been producing.  However, cutting it back will not help it to produce fruit.  It may be that the plant either needs to be planted in the ground at this point, or it needs to be in a larger pot.  I would also suggest fertilizing with a fertilizer that has a high middle number (phosphorus) as this will help the development of blooms.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston