Plant Diseases/cucumber disease

Question
cucumber
cucumber  
Hi Melissa,

I'd like to know which disease makes my cucumber plants turn yellow and what can I do about it without using pesticides.

Answer
Hello Abrek, I believe that your cucumber plants have spider mites.  That will make them look speckled and yellow.  To find out for sure, hold a sheet of white paper underneath the leaves and tap the leaf sharply.  Anything on the underside of the leaf should fall onto the paper.  If you see anything moving around, then you have spider mites.  I believe that in Turkey you can purchase NEEM, an organic ingredient from the Neem tree which is native to India and should be available for purchase in your area.  This ingredient is completely safe to humans, and it is considered an organic ingredient, and not a regular pesticide which would make your garden not organic.  Neem will kill spider mites, insect pests, and fungus so it is very good to have on hand, in case there may be something else feeding on your cucumber plants.  Another questioner from Cyprus used it on their cucumber farm and it completely saved the crop.  Be sure to spray the plants thoroughly, especially up under the leaves.  I hope this choice will work for you, but please write back if you need more assistance.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston