Plant Diseases/October Glory Maple issue

Question
full tree
full tree  

close up of dead blooms
close up of dead bloom  
I have a 10yr old October glory Maple that some of the branches got buds but the buds died rather than open to leaves. Can you tell me why this might happen?

Answer
Hi Linda:

One of the most common causes of this is a sudden cold snap or drop in temperature during bud development.  If the tree is vigorous otherwise, it will often put out a fresh set of leaves.

From your image, the foliage does look sparse.  I do not see anything else out of the ordinary.  You should also visually examine the trunk and base of the tree for evidences of bark damage such as loose or missing bark.  If that is the case, there may be underlying internal decay that results from insect or disease activity. Internal problems can also lead to a loss of leaves/twigs too.

Regards
Steve

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann