Plant Diseases/Red Apple Iceplant

Robert wrote at 2015-12-08 01:23:58
I wanted to add to this question.

I, too, have red apple iceplant that is experiencing the same symptoms. I also am in San Diego. I am just not certain this is happening because of too much water. I have had this iceplant for 25 years, and there have been times when it has had MUCH more water than it has currently been getting. This is the first time it has done this. I really don't think my problem is too much water. I really had to cut my regular watering schedule this summer due to water issues, so my iceplant had a lot less water than normal. We had a few storms (late summer and fall) with respectable, but not too much, rain. My iceplant usually loves the rain, and greens up afterwards, but this time, it is all dying. Is there some sort of fungus or disease that is affecting it? I have a lot of this stuff, and fear it is all going to die.

AD wrote at 2015-12-16 01:55:09
We are also having the exact same problem and were watering our plants on a sloping hill only once a week and when it rained we did not water that week.  I agree....I don't think it is too much water...seems to be something else.  Also one side of our hill is dying esp. the ones in the shade and the rest is okay.

Joe wrote at 2016-01-28 00:41:12
I too live in San Diego (Poway) and have the same issue and I am quite certain it is not too much water. I've lived in this house for 20 years and have never seen this problem before. Additionally as a look around, all over San Diego county the Red Apple Ice Plant is dying off. What's going on?

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston