Plant Diseases/maple tree disease

our maple tree have white spots on the trunk.  The  bark seems to be splitting also..I can see on some of the trees woodpecker damage dianea

Can you send a closeup photo of these spots? Lichens, which come in a variety of colors can be seen on the bark.  They are superficial and are not considered disease organisms.  I am not sure about the spots you describe.  How big are they in diameter.  A clear photo may help to ID.  Be sure to review your image on the computer before sending to be sure it is in focus.

Bark splits on maple can be caused by a few things- most commonly related to temperature extremes such as frost cracks or even extreme heat can cause these.  Maples are thin barked trees typically and are susceptible to these environmental stresses.  Some varieties are less likely to develop these issues.

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann

Plant Diseases and Disorders of Lawn Grasses, Trees, Vegetables,and Ornamentals

Plant Diseases Identification and Management

B.S. Botany --- Miss. State Univ. M.S. Plant Pathology --- Miss. State Univ. Ph.D. Plant Pathology --- Texas A & M Univ.