Plant Diseases/A whitesh Growth on Rhododendrons

Question
This year after it had bloomed there was a growth on the limb near the ends and it some times grows all the way around a limb and it gets as big as my fist. This is not the first year I have had it. Sometimes I break it off an throw it in the garbage. Thsank you!

Answer
Dear Douglas, It's very hard to say what these growths are exactly, but I wonder if you don't have praying mantis egg cases.  These are very beneficial insects so you want to leave them be so the mature mantises will continue to help your garden.  The best way to determine if something like this is friend or foe is to look at the plant itself.  If it is causing damage to the plant and you find a lot of holes in the leaves, then it's a bad thing.  If nothing seems to be happening to the plant, then you have a beneficial insect and you want to leave it alone.  I hope this information helps, but it is my best guess without a picture.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston