Plant Diseases/Ganoderma fungus on Palm tree

Does the product "Atomic Grow" work on Ganoderma and salvage palm trees infected with the disease?  Apparently the main ingredient is Pine oil.
Thanks for your help.

Dear Derrell, I'm a bit confused by your question.  By 'Ganoderma' - do you mean that your palms are growing mushrooms or have a root rot?  In the event of mushrooms growing off a tree, these are best handled by simply breaking them off.  You could apply a fungicide to prevent them from growing back if you wish.  As far as Atomic Grow is concerned, I looked up the product and was even more confused.  It sounds like it doesn't really do anything but help with the transport of fertilizers, herbicides, and fungicides.  It's actually what I have heard called a "spreader sticker", which would be an oil based product that helps other chemicals stick onto the plant surface and thereby make them more effective.  Spreader stickers can be somewhat helpful in combatting scale, a non-moving insect that attacks palms and other plants, but a lightweight horticultural oil will probably be more effective for that condition.  For root or crown rots, which often affect palms, I would prefer a strong fungicide as those would be more effective.  In addition, try to improve drainage to prevent overly wet soils which increase the likelihood of soil fungus.  Palms should be planted in a mostly dry sandy soil without too much rich organic material which also would encourage rot in these plants.  So, to answer your question, I wouldn't use Atomic Grow for Ganoderma or really anything else except as a spreader-sticker.  Any mushrooms should be broken off and other conditions should be sprayed with fungicide and the plant should be kept dryer.  I hope this information helps.  Write back if you have more questions.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.