Plant Diseases/apple

Question
Hi,Mam how are you .Kindly tell me what is difference between chelated calcium CaEDTA and calcium chloride.I have sprayed calcium chloride,somebody told me that it will check the size of apples.

Answer
Dear Vivek, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to answer your questions, but sometimes the chemistry questions are much more of a challenge to me.  From everything that I have seen, the Calcium chloride spray is the most common one to use, and it provides the most benefit.  You do need to make sure on this spray that it is food grade or specific to use as a foliar spray.  Avoid using construction grade Calcium chloride as that might damage your apples.  You should discontinue spraying the calcium past late August when the apples are getting nearly ripe.  You should also not use the spray when the temperature is over 85 degrees, so if your weather is hotter, then I would spray in early morning only, or on cooler days.  Above 85 degrees, you risk burning the plant because of the chemical mixed with the sunlight.  The chelated calcium is similar to the calcium chloride although it has disodium salt of ethyleneiaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA).  Simply put, many biological elements are chelated which aids in photosynthesis and oxygen transport.  On all the scientific sites I used, the calcium chloride is the recommended product and the ones that DID mention the chelated calcium stated that it was not better than the calcium chloride.  The main reasons that an apple's size might be smaller are due to variety, availability of water, adequate thinning of apples, and the tree's overall health.  Just be sure not to apply the calcium chloride past the end of August, as you are unlikely to obtain more benefit from it.  I hope this information helps you.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston