Plant Diseases/christmas castus

Question
has wood like fungus ? growing on leaves is killing it. still has little green shoots growing out tip of leaves, but it eventually gets growth on  them as well

Answer
Dear Denise, While older Christmas cactus will have more of a woody growth on the bottom of the plant, I think what you are talking about is a rot that is affecting your plant and showing up as brown patches in the leaf sections.  The major culprit of this problem is overwatering.  Christmas cactus should be in well drained soil, in a pot with a drain hole , and watered when the top half of the soil is dry.  Water thoroughly, then immediately discard any additional water left behind in a drip saucer.  They should never be allowed to stand in water.  Make sure the plant is in a well lighted area, especially while you allow it to dry out.  This should correct the problem.  I hope this information helps the situation.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston