Plant Diseases/christmas castus

has wood like fungus ? growing on leaves is killing it. still has little green shoots growing out tip of leaves, but it eventually gets growth on  them as well

Dear Denise, While older Christmas cactus will have more of a woody growth on the bottom of the plant, I think what you are talking about is a rot that is affecting your plant and showing up as brown patches in the leaf sections.  The major culprit of this problem is overwatering.  Christmas cactus should be in well drained soil, in a pot with a drain hole , and watered when the top half of the soil is dry.  Water thoroughly, then immediately discard any additional water left behind in a drip saucer.  They should never be allowed to stand in water.  Make sure the plant is in a well lighted area, especially while you allow it to dry out.  This should correct the problem.  I hope this information helps the situation.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.