Plant Diseases/spider mites ?

Question
i have a mini rose bush and in two days time it was covered with webbing and millions of lil tannish mites ? all the branches and roses were dead i cut it back . and sprayed eucalyptis peppermint oil treatment now my tomato plant seems to have something eating it also but i cant see anything except a micro white looks like a empty ? or feces ? slowly my tender leafs are dying what do i do ?

Answer
Dear Denise,  Spider mites are often only noticeable when the webs are visible  Even though you can't see the spider mites after cutting the rose back, I would still spray the entire plant to the point of dripping with a NEEM spray.  NEEM, an organic ingredient is very handy to have around because it will kill insects, mites, and diseases.  You should probably spray at least a few times about a week apart to get all the mites.  You can also spray the tomato plant, although I suspect what you have is tomato hornworms. These caterpillars can devour a plant rather quickly, and they hide on the underside of leaves.  They blend in well with the plant's color, being very green, and they are hard to see, so be sure to spray the underside of the leaves.  You can often spot them if you look closely, and I often prefer to 'handpick' these bugs off, clipping them in half with pruning shears.  The white thing you see may be eggs, so I would cut that part off or smash the eggs.  Late summer is often a time when bugs make a sudden appearance, as many vegetable crops have finished, and winter crops aren't planted yet.  I hope this information helps you, and I apologize for the late response.  Please write back if you have more questions.  Good luck, Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston