Plant Diseases/possible walnut tree

possible walnut
possible walnut  

possible walnut
possible walnut  
I previously send a question to another person regarding this tree.  I thought it was an American Chestnut but now I believe it maybe a walnut tree.  
In the spring there were no leaves grew on the tree. The trunk has splits in it and has been that way for several years.  As the spring progressed and summer came new shouts sprouted from various places on the tree creating new branches and lots of leaves.  Three quarters of the tree is bare and dead.  Do I just cut the dead branches off and hope it survives the winter

I would probably wait until it leafs out next year, then remove only the dead wood. If living wood is removed, even accidentally, it may create a stress condition that may affect the tree during the winter.  Just wait until next season , then remove the old dead stuff and discard.  From your photo, it does appear that there has been significant dieback- best not to stress it prior to winter.

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann

Plant Diseases and Disorders of Lawn Grasses, Trees, Vegetables,and Ornamentals

Plant Diseases Identification and Management

B.S. Botany --- Miss. State Univ. M.S. Plant Pathology --- Miss. State Univ. Ph.D. Plant Pathology --- Texas A & M Univ.