Plant Diseases/fig trees

Question
Hi, I live in the NE Ohio. My neighbor has over 100 fig trees and wants to give me one. When is the proper time to transplant and what is the proper care of a fig tree?

Answer
Dear Paula,  What a wonder gift!  For best results, I would recommend transplanting your new fig tree in the fall after the weather cools off.  If the tree is small enough, then digging it up is fairly simple, but for larger trees you may need special equipment.  Your friend will probably have a good idea about how difficult the actual moving will be.  I usually try to have a hole ready for the new tree.  Fig trees can grow quite large, so pick a sunny location where you can easily grow a tree that may be 15-20 feet tall and wide.  Be sure to plant the tree at exactly the same depth in the soil as it was originally.  Fill in any air pockets and water the tree well.  The most important thing is to water the tree probably daily or every other day for several months.  The tree should never get dry.  Any bit of wilting or leaf drop is a clear sign that the tree needs a lot more water.  It often takes trees a few years to get completely established, but you can water less after about the first year and it has passed through the hot summer.  Besides that, fig trees are fairly easy to grow.  They don't have complicated spraying schedules like many other fruits, and your neighbor can probably pass on advice from their experience, since they are familiar with them and the particular variety.  Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions.  Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston