Plant Diseases/root rot

Hi,its long time I am asking from you.actually I have heard that chemicals like trichoderma and pseudomonas are helpful in preventing and curing root damage due to root borer and fungal.Is it so,or I can use any other chemical for root borer.There are many black insects and white insects like earthworm.

Dear Vivek, I'm sorry for the delay in answering your question, but I was out of town.  It is good to hear from you as it has been awhile since you have last written.  I'm not sure how helpful I can be in answering this particular question as it is fairly complicated.  There are scientific articles on Trichoderma and some Pseudomonas which are being used in agriculture.  However, you need to keep in mind that there are many Trichoderma varieties, and also many Pseudomonas.  Many of these are dangerous to people.  Some of these varieties are being studied to evaluate their benefit to plants, however, I don't know of any conclusive benefit either of these would be to you.  A great deal would depend on exactly what your particular problem was.  For example, I saw an article about using Trichoderma harzianum to see their effect on Phytopthora in pepper plants, and I do see Trichoderma offered for sale, but I don't know that it would help you.  If you have an insect chewing on roots, then you might want to try a soil drench, but if this will be used for the apple trees you have, I'm not sure how much that will help.  It might be a huge amount of soil drench with very little benefit.  Plus, you need to be careful about what you put into the soil, since you don't want anything that might affect the quality of your apples.  It would help to know what type of bugs you have in the ground.  Some white insects in the soil, like grub worms are fairly destructive, but they usually go more for grass roots than tree roots.    Turning the soil might help, but you would need to take care not to damage the tree roots.  Be sure to keep debris out of your garden area as this shelters many burrowing pests.  If you can give me additional information about the type of insects or fungus, it might be helpful.  Often just keeping the surface of the soil a bit drier will keep the insects down.  I hope this information helps you a little and I'm sorry that currently I have no good ideas on what you will need to control the problem.   Melissa

Plant Diseases

Melissa Johnston

Plant diseases, landscaping, tropical plants, roses, herbs, plant care, grafting, horticulture, plant identification, anything about plants I can likely answer.

35 years experience in various plant businesses, 1984 Certified Texas Master Gardener.

Master Gardener Association of Texas charter member

none as of yet, but I have a plant q&a book I am in process of submitting.

Magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, 1978

Plant growing awards, highest grade for Texas Master Gardener graduates.

Past member of and was very highly rated. Owned landscape company in the past, Almost Paradise, and was very successful despite little equipment, no help, and no advertising. Lived well for two years until 9/11.