Plant Operations/Maintenance/chain

Would you please elaborately expalin what is chain articulation?
If misalignment can affect chain articulation in conveyor system.
Best Regards

ANSWER: Dear sir. Thanks you for the question. Chain articulation refers to the position of the chain with respect to the centre of the sprocket tooth. Misalignment of the sprockets will cause chain side plate wear because the articulation of the chain is too far to one side or the other. Use a straight edge to align the spockets. The chain should run in the centre of the sprocket teeth. Check the inside of chains side plates and the outside of the sprocket teeth for wear this is a indicator of misalignment. Chain tension is critical as well. Most horizontal drives should be tensioned to 2% of the distance between shaft centres.
I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely Mike Biro

QUESTION: My Dear Friend,
Thank you very much for your time and support.
Refer1)I am not clear on your bellow statement,
"Misalignment of the sprockets will cause chain side plate wear because the articulation of the chain is too far to one side or the other."
Would you please explain it by SKETCH to my better understanding.
Refer2)Dear Expert,if high tension on chain system could lead to roller jamming?

Hi Never over tension the chain this will cause wear. Here is a link to a web page with a good illustation, I think this will explain your question.
Sincerely Mike Biro

Plant Operations/Maintenance

Mike Biro

I can answer any questions on Mechanical technology. Rigging, shop practices, Hydraulics, Pnuematics,Gears, bearings, belts, fasteners, Safety, Machine tools. Anything within the scope of the Millwright Apprenticeship. All areas of plant maintenance.

30yrs plant experience light packaging, heavy industrial( Steel and Auto). Taught the entire Millwright course for over 12yrs at three provincial colleges. Published the Study tool titled Millwright Exam Questions available from 2007-2009. Personally helped over 400 students successfully obtain their trade licenses.

Brant#45 Masonic Lodge

Ebay- Sold Publication for 3 yrs Titled Millwright exam Questions

Licensed Millwright since 1991, Electronic Eng. Tech. since 1982. Bachelor degree 2008.

George Brown College and Mohawk College Numerous individual students