Plant Operations/Maintenance/1" CPVC can we freeze for repair

I have a 1" CPVC line that is very long , approx. 200' without restrictions or valves that feeds a hose bib. There is a 45 leaking and I don't want to shut down my building to make the repair.  Can I freeze it , drain it at the hose bib and cut in a valve ( for this repair at a later date and future ) without damaging the CPVC ?  I spoke with a technical person at Charlotte Pipe and they do not recommend freezing CPVC ..
Your opinion is greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Jug

Hi Jug,
 Yes you can freeze CPVC pipe. You will need to freeze it with liquid nitrogen.

CPVC pipe takes a little longer to freeze because of the thick wall.

The pipe will be very brittle at the freeze point so you will need to be very careful not to bend the pipe around during the repair. You have plenty of pipe so just stay back away from the repair point or anchor an area between the freeze & repair.

Problem :
Moving water ( leak ) makes it hard to get a plug sometimes. I have got a lot of pipes to freeze even with the small leak but I've also had a few that didn't.  If its a small leak you have a decent chance it will freeze for you.

Its such a small line that even with a small leak it should be froze in 10 or 15 minutes after you turn on the nitrogen.

Any more questions please ask.
  Thanks, Fred  

Plant Operations/Maintenance

Fred Thibodeau

Controlled pipe freezing: I can answer questions about how pipe freezing with liquid nitrogen can help you isolate a section of pipe for repairs under full system pressure without the need to shut down or have to drain the system. Water, oil, chemicals can be frozen safely to allow your maint. department to do the needed repairs.Freezing can be done on steel, copper, cast, PVC pipe, etc. I have frozen pipes at 1500 lbs pressure and up to 24" in Dia.

Past/Present clients
NSTAR,Com energy,Sithe Energy,Boston Edison,Electric Boat, Mead Paper,etc. Many mech. contracting companys