Plastic Surgery/Age of a Burn Scar

Hi Daniel. I have been asked if it is possible to use the current clinical status of a scald/burn scar to confirm that a subject was subject to an act of domestic violence in May 2012.

My searches to date using Medline and Goggle etc have come to naught.

Are you aware of any forensic literature or process which have been used.

Kind Regards
Dr Robert KF Hughes MBBS MRCGP

Dear Robert,

I doubt that anyone can say that any particular burn scar is due to a particular event, including any incident of domestic violence. There are just too many variables to account for. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc
Board-Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon

Plastic Surgery

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc

Dr. Daniel Kaufman is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is qualified to speak about all matters concerning cosmetic surgery of the face and body such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and lifting, facelift, nosejob, eyelids, hair transplantation, and more. He is also well versed in reconstuctive surgery, such as skin and other cancers, breast cancer and reconstruction, burns, craniofacial and pediatric plastic surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and many more topics.

Extensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.

Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. American College of Surgery. American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. American Medical Association. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons. New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons. Medical Society of the State of New York. Brooklyn Surgical Society.

Dr. Kaufman is a distinguished and accomplished researcher. He has published numerous scientific articles and chapters in peer-reviewed medical journals and books, and has been invited as a speaker at major national and international scientific meetings.

Undergraduate: Binghamton University, BA - Cum Laude. Postgraduate: Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering. Medical School: SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, MD - Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. General Surgery Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Plastic Surgery Fellowship: Montefiore Medical Center - Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – Eta Chapter, SUNY Downstate. Cum Laude Graduate, Binghamton University. Golden Key National Honor Society, Binghamton University. Dean’s List, Binghamton University.