Plastic Surgery/tummy tuck 4 yrs post surgery

I had a tummy tuck and breast reduction and lift. In the past 2 mths I have been having sharp razor like cutting pains inside where my abdomen was made to look like a “6 pack”. I also have a place that feels like a golf ball. Two weeks after I had my surgery, I sneezed and felt something pop. Even while on all the pain medication (and I stayed ahead of the pain) it hurts so badly. I am scared that whatever is inside me may be cutting through my stomach. To make matters worse, my dear sweet doctor, Dr John Franklin was killed in a car wreck. He was the only one in his firm. I paid cash. Single mom of two and did not have the funds to pay to see another doctor. I saved for 5 years to pay for this one. My medical records I know were found in the city dump by police and I have no idea where they may be. (In all respect, Dr Franklin’s family did not know how to get rid of the records properly) Where do I go from here? Can I redo my tummy tuck, have everything inside removed and done properly? How much does that cost? This pain has gone from once a day and sometimes none a day, to every ten minutes. I find myself taking pain medication for my spine just to help with the pain from my tummy tuck. I have a large fear of being addicted to pain pills. I knew someone once that was. It was the saddest thing I had ever witnessed. What is this “razor cutting from the inside out) pain coming from? Is this golf ball size knotting a fatty pocket or could it be worse. I am swelling up and it looks weird. Tight but swollen. I fly free with Delta and will fly anywhere to be seen and corrected by a top dog doctor. After my surgery, I totaled my Lexus and had four spine surgeries. I am now disabled from the wreck and have Medicare. Can Medicare help since this is so much pain? Please excuse my choice of words. I am on pain medication now and very dizzy.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulty you are having.  Four years after your surgery, it is unlikely that the problem you are having is directly related to the operation, although scar tissue can, occasionally, cause problems some time after the surgery.  Beyond that, it would be impossible to give you any specific advice without examining you.  If necessary, additional surgery could be done but, again, it is impossible to even suggest an answer without a good examination.  Although we always like to review previous records, often they are not available and there are ways to evaluate a patient without them.  Sometimes additional testing is required.  As to whether insurance would cover any of the cost, that is difficult to say, but I would think that at least the cost of evaluation would be covered since you are having pain which may not even be related to the surgery.

In summary, I would suggest that you have an evaluation by a qualified surgeon.  As to the cost of any additional surgery, once again, that can't be determined until your surgeon determines what surgery is required, if any.

Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS

I can answer questions related to Cosmetic Surgery. I cannot answer questions related to reconstruction, burn treatment, cleft palate surgery or traumatic surgery. My practice is, and has been for 36 years, limited to Cosmetic Surgery. For further information, go to

As mentioned above, I have exclusively practiced cosmetic surgery for over 36 years. My practice encompases all aspects of cosmetic surgery

American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (past president) American Society of Liposuction Surgery (past president) Cosmetic Surgical Society of Texas (past president) Fellow American College of Surgeons Texas Medical Association see cv on website for further details

Seventy three published articles. see cv on website for further details

Graduate of Princeton University and Baylor College of Medicine Internship - University of Virginia Residency - Baylor Medical College Affiliated Residencies Fellowship - University of Cincinnati see cv on website for further details

American Medical Association - Physician's Recognition Award; 1969- present American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Honor Award, October, 1983 American Board of Cosmetic Surgery - Certificate of Appreciation - 1987 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery - Best presentation at 1987 annual meeting: "Revision Mammaplasty with Replicon Prosthesis" Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare Certificate of Appreciation 1989-90 American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Honor Award for distinguished service, 1989 American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Appreciation Award for authorship of monograph on outpatient surgery , 1993 Certificate of Excellence in Continuing Medical Education in Cosmetic Surgery, 1993 - American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. International Academy of Aesthetic Surgery & Aesthetic Medicine - Honor Award, 1994 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery - Recognition plaque following term of Presidency - 1995 Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare Special Citation of Appreciation for Service; November 1996 International Academy of Aesthetic Surgery & Aesthetic Medicine - Appointed honorary North American President, 1995 – 1997 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery: Award for excellence in cosmetic surgery; Jan 2003 Cosmetic Surgical Society of Texas – Appreciation Award for Leadership; 2004 Honorary Member Mexican Academy of Cosmetic Surgery 2007

A past sponsor of the Miss Texas USA pageant, he has also served as a judge for this and other pageants. His patients include many pageant contestants and winners up to the Miss Universe title