Plastic Surgery/breasts

I've lost some weight (about 10kg)with diet and exercise. I now feel that my breasts have lost volume and are a little saggy, which is really frustrating (and depressing) because I am really happy with the rest of my body.  My breasts have never been terribly perky, but now I've lost cleavage and there seems to be a bit of a gap (or 'sunkeness') in the middle of my chest.  I am also confused about whether continued exercise will make this worse, although I enjoy exercising a lot.  Recently I started lifting weights.  Could this be worse for my breasts?  I really don't want to resort to surgery at this point.  Is there anything I can do? How can women exercise without losing breast volume?

Dear Gisella,

You may be confusing some aspects of aging and working out. In general, any time a person works out and likes it, it is a good thing, for both that person and their physician. Many women lose breast volume and shape due to aging, pregnancy, nursing, solar radiation, smoking, disease, and other factors. That "sunkeness" that you noted is normal, and happens to lots of women. My suggestion is to consult with a Board-certified plastic & reconstructive surgeon to discuss what your options are. I would definitely not stop working out unless specifically advised by your physician. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc
Board-Certified Plastic & Reconsturctive Surgeon

Plastic Surgery

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc

Dr. Daniel Kaufman is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is qualified to speak about all matters concerning cosmetic surgery of the face and body such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and lifting, facelift, nosejob, eyelids, hair transplantation, and more. He is also well versed in reconstuctive surgery, such as skin and other cancers, breast cancer and reconstruction, burns, craniofacial and pediatric plastic surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and many more topics.

Extensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.

Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. American College of Surgery. American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. American Medical Association. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons. New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons. Medical Society of the State of New York. Brooklyn Surgical Society.

Dr. Kaufman is a distinguished and accomplished researcher. He has published numerous scientific articles and chapters in peer-reviewed medical journals and books, and has been invited as a speaker at major national and international scientific meetings.

Undergraduate: Binghamton University, BA - Cum Laude. Postgraduate: Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering. Medical School: SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, MD - Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. General Surgery Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Plastic Surgery Fellowship: Montefiore Medical Center - Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – Eta Chapter, SUNY Downstate. Cum Laude Graduate, Binghamton University. Golden Key National Honor Society, Binghamton University. Dean’s List, Binghamton University.