Plastic Surgery/Burn

Dear Dr. Kaufman,

This morning I burned my finger right below the upper finger joint touching the heating element.  The toaster oven set at 450 degrees.  I burned a very small area the size about 1/2 inch in length by 1/8 inch wide.  The skin immediately turned white and indented.  No pain.     
I did see a Dr. at a HMO who said it looked more like a white tattoo.  That maybe something was on the oven that burned into my skin.  He did not feel it was a 2nd or 3rd degree burn because it did not look like he could see the different layers of flesh etc.  I checked my toaster oven and their is nothing in my oven that would caused a tattoo of white.

Should I be concern, or because of the size it should heal on its own whether its sever or a artificial burn?  
Thank you for your time

Dear Kay,

It sounds like you might be describing a 3rd degree burn. The evidence to support it is that there is no pain, which means it is a full thickness burn. Visit with a Board-certified plastic surgeon or a hand surgeon to ensure you get the right diagnosis and possible treatment. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc
Board-Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon

Plastic Surgery

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc

Dr. Daniel Kaufman is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is qualified to speak about all matters concerning cosmetic surgery of the face and body such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and lifting, facelift, nosejob, eyelids, hair transplantation, and more. He is also well versed in reconstuctive surgery, such as skin and other cancers, breast cancer and reconstruction, burns, craniofacial and pediatric plastic surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and many more topics.

Extensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.

Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. American College of Surgery. American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. American Medical Association. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons. New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons. Medical Society of the State of New York. Brooklyn Surgical Society.

Dr. Kaufman is a distinguished and accomplished researcher. He has published numerous scientific articles and chapters in peer-reviewed medical journals and books, and has been invited as a speaker at major national and international scientific meetings.

Undergraduate: Binghamton University, BA - Cum Laude. Postgraduate: Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering. Medical School: SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, MD - Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. General Surgery Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Plastic Surgery Fellowship: Montefiore Medical Center - Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – Eta Chapter, SUNY Downstate. Cum Laude Graduate, Binghamton University. Golden Key National Honor Society, Binghamton University. Dean’s List, Binghamton University.