Plastic Surgery/Forehead

Is forehead prominence normal? I noticed my upper forehead was fairly prominent when I was around 13/14 years old and it bothered me, then I forgot about it. Lately, I've become aware of it again and in certain lights, it casts a shadow on my lower forehead. I feel sometimes that it is even more prominent than it used to be.

Is this normal or am I aging prematurely?

I'm a female and 18.

Dear Jen,

I doubt by the description you gave that you're aging prematurely and that this is the cosmetic manifestation of that aging. Technically, we are all aging, everyday of our lives, and not a moment too soon...we all do it at the same pace. And sure, some of us fare better than others. The fact that your forehead is more prominent than some others' foreheads is just a function of who you are. Unless you had a condition in your infancy called craniosynostosis - then it's safe to say that your skull grew in a normal fashion. At this age, however, all bones of the head have grown and matured, and all joints and sutures #places where bones meet# have closed and fused appropriately. So, it's safe to say that doing a surgical procedure to change the structure of the bones is unlikely to be done. Visit with a Board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in craniofacial surgery to consult face to face. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc
Board-Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon  

Plastic Surgery

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc

Dr. Daniel Kaufman is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is qualified to speak about all matters concerning cosmetic surgery of the face and body such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and lifting, facelift, nosejob, eyelids, hair transplantation, and more. He is also well versed in reconstuctive surgery, such as skin and other cancers, breast cancer and reconstruction, burns, craniofacial and pediatric plastic surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and many more topics.

Extensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.

Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. American College of Surgery. American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. American Medical Association. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons. New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons. Medical Society of the State of New York. Brooklyn Surgical Society.

Dr. Kaufman is a distinguished and accomplished researcher. He has published numerous scientific articles and chapters in peer-reviewed medical journals and books, and has been invited as a speaker at major national and international scientific meetings.

Undergraduate: Binghamton University, BA - Cum Laude. Postgraduate: Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering. Medical School: SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, MD - Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. General Surgery Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Plastic Surgery Fellowship: Montefiore Medical Center - Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – Eta Chapter, SUNY Downstate. Cum Laude Graduate, Binghamton University. Golden Key National Honor Society, Binghamton University. Dean’s List, Binghamton University.