Plastic Surgery/Lip

I am attaching a photo of my 8 year old son. He is a chronic mouth breather and is scheduled to get braces on this week (for tooth alignment issues). My question is: can anything be done for his short upper lip? I hadn't noticed how short his lip is until his adult teeth came in.

I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Thank you,

Dear Jennifer,

Your son is only 8 years old, so to say that any one body part or facial feature is outside of the normal realm is premature, as he is no way near done growing, both his body and face. It does look like he has a bit of a "gummy" smile, meaning that he shows lots of gums when he smiles. The orthodontics work will surely help in that regard, as it will align his dentition and hopefully will not negatively affect his occlusion. His smile will change as treatment continues and as he grows. The final dimensions of his face and its features, namely the length of the upper lip, will only be clear when he reaches young adulthood. If then he and you are still bothered by the appearance of the lip, you can consult with a Board-certified plastic surgeon to see what can be done. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc
Board-Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon

Plastic Surgery

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc

Dr. Daniel Kaufman is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is qualified to speak about all matters concerning cosmetic surgery of the face and body such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and lifting, facelift, nosejob, eyelids, hair transplantation, and more. He is also well versed in reconstuctive surgery, such as skin and other cancers, breast cancer and reconstruction, burns, craniofacial and pediatric plastic surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and many more topics.

Extensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.

Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. American College of Surgery. American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. American Medical Association. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons. New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons. Medical Society of the State of New York. Brooklyn Surgical Society.

Dr. Kaufman is a distinguished and accomplished researcher. He has published numerous scientific articles and chapters in peer-reviewed medical journals and books, and has been invited as a speaker at major national and international scientific meetings.

Undergraduate: Binghamton University, BA - Cum Laude. Postgraduate: Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering. Medical School: SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, MD - Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. General Surgery Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Plastic Surgery Fellowship: Montefiore Medical Center - Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – Eta Chapter, SUNY Downstate. Cum Laude Graduate, Binghamton University. Golden Key National Honor Society, Binghamton University. Dean’s List, Binghamton University.