Plastic Surgery/Lip

Question
Lip
Lip  
Hello~
I am attaching a photo of my 8 year old son. He is a chronic mouth breather and is scheduled to get braces on this week (for tooth alignment issues). My question is: can anything be done for his short upper lip? I hadn't noticed how short his lip is until his adult teeth came in.

I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Thank you,
Jennifer

Answer
Dear Jennifer,

Your son is only 8 years old, so to say that any one body part or facial feature is outside of the normal realm is premature, as he is no way near done growing, both his body and face. It does look like he has a bit of a "gummy" smile, meaning that he shows lots of gums when he smiles. The orthodontics work will surely help in that regard, as it will align his dentition and hopefully will not negatively affect his occlusion. His smile will change as treatment continues and as he grows. The final dimensions of his face and its features, namely the length of the upper lip, will only be clear when he reaches young adulthood. If then he and you are still bothered by the appearance of the lip, you can consult with a Board-certified plastic surgeon to see what can be done. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well.

Sincerely,
Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc
Board-Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
www.DiscreetPlasticSurgery.com

Plastic Surgery

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc