Plastic Surgery/Third degree burn scars

Question
Hello doctor.
When I was a year old I was burnt in a fire and sustained third degree burn scars to most parts of my body and over my face and head. Now I am 19 and wondering what options there are for scar reduction on my face.
I have big pink squares on my face that I'm assuming are skin grafts.
They are generally light pink but when I exert myself physically or moisturize or rub them they go red.
I'm wondering if there is a way to improve the colour mostly.
Thank you.

Answer
Dear Kori,

Burned skin needs to be replaced with skin grafts. If you were burned in childhood, it is safe to assume that you did have skin grafting. That was done in order to save your life - and it most probably did. Now, however, as you stated, the cosmetic outcome is less than ideal. Sure, there are different options for improving cosmesis of burned skin, including scar revision, laser, and dermabrasion. Talk to a Board-certified plastic & reconstructive surgeon to see what these options entail, and also ask to see before-and-after pictures so you can get a better idea of what to expect. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well.

Sincerely,
Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc
Board-Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
www.DiscreetPlasticSurgery.com

Plastic Surgery

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc