Plastic Surgery/Third degree burn scars

Hello doctor.
When I was a year old I was burnt in a fire and sustained third degree burn scars to most parts of my body and over my face and head. Now I am 19 and wondering what options there are for scar reduction on my face.
I have big pink squares on my face that I'm assuming are skin grafts.
They are generally light pink but when I exert myself physically or moisturize or rub them they go red.
I'm wondering if there is a way to improve the colour mostly.
Thank you.

Dear Kori,

Burned skin needs to be replaced with skin grafts. If you were burned in childhood, it is safe to assume that you did have skin grafting. That was done in order to save your life - and it most probably did. Now, however, as you stated, the cosmetic outcome is less than ideal. Sure, there are different options for improving cosmesis of burned skin, including scar revision, laser, and dermabrasion. Talk to a Board-certified plastic & reconstructive surgeon to see what these options entail, and also ask to see before-and-after pictures so you can get a better idea of what to expect. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc
Board-Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon

Plastic Surgery

Daniel Kaufman, MD, MSc

Dr. Daniel Kaufman is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is qualified to speak about all matters concerning cosmetic surgery of the face and body such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and lifting, facelift, nosejob, eyelids, hair transplantation, and more. He is also well versed in reconstuctive surgery, such as skin and other cancers, breast cancer and reconstruction, burns, craniofacial and pediatric plastic surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and many more topics.

Extensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.

Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. American College of Surgery. American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. American Medical Association. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons. New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons. Medical Society of the State of New York. Brooklyn Surgical Society.

Dr. Kaufman is a distinguished and accomplished researcher. He has published numerous scientific articles and chapters in peer-reviewed medical journals and books, and has been invited as a speaker at major national and international scientific meetings.

Undergraduate: Binghamton University, BA - Cum Laude. Postgraduate: Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering. Medical School: SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, MD - Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. General Surgery Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Plastic Surgery Fellowship: Montefiore Medical Center - Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – Eta Chapter, SUNY Downstate. Cum Laude Graduate, Binghamton University. Golden Key National Honor Society, Binghamton University. Dean’s List, Binghamton University.