Plastic Surgery/seroma after abdominal therapy

Question
QUESTION: I had surgery on the 10th of November to remove a gastric stimulator. About a week out I developed a seroma that kept getting bigger by the day and very painful. I called my general surgeon and he had me go in to have the seroma needle aspirated to drain. Well about 2 days later it was back. It started getting painful again and he suctioned out 6 syringes of old blood(dark red). He said that the next time they would have to place a drain in. Well right after I started walking it came back, and is about the same size, and even more painful than before so it looks like a drain will be put in. Can you please answer a few questions for me. Is this done in the office, will I have anastegia, is it painful for this procedure. Here is the tricky part I have no adrenal glands so everthing needs to be done with caution.Thank You Elaine

ANSWER: from Dr. Alan Engler

Hi Elaine,

It is, of course, nearly impossible to give specific advice via this forum - but, that being said, I would agree that if the fluid continues to reaccumulate (or become more apparent) then you have to consider more than just aspirating.  In general, this procedure can be done under ultrasound guidance to make sure they're in the right spot.  Your adrenal situation certainly has to be taken into consideration; you may need some steroids around the time of the procedure but should, either way, clear this with your internist.

So, in short - it's not unreasonably to try one or even two more attempts at aspiration but unless there is clear improvement I would be more likely to recommend the insertion of one, or even two, drains, if indicated.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E
www.bodysculpture.com

QUESTION: Is this done under anasegia, and is this procedure painful. Otherwise thank you

Answer
Usually some local anesthesia.  Sedation is not normally an option and it is, in general, a little uncomfortable but not too painful.  You can ask your doctor to prescribe a pain pill to take 45 or so before the procedure starts to help take the edge off.  If you're anxious about it, some Valium (probably instead of the pain pill) maybe even more effective in smoothing out the procedure.

Good luck,
Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS