Plastic Surgery/Tear through implant surgery complication

Question
One month ago I had tear through implants installed under my eyes. The swelling and busing has gone away. The numbness on the left side of my face went away in a couple of days but the right side of my face (nose lip and cheek) is still as numb as it was the day after surgery.
I brought it up to my Dr on the 10 day follow up visit. He assured me that it will go away. But here it is a month later and its still numb. Its very uncomfortable. I feel like the Dr is just blowing me off. I'm concerned that there is permanent damage to my nerve. Is this normal to be numb this long after surgery?  And what if anything can be done about it if it stays numb?. Also what recourse do  I have with my Dr if he continues to blow me off?
Chris

Answer
from Dr. Alan Engler
www.bodysculpture.com

Hi Chris,

Obviously, I'm very sorry for the problems you're having.  It is difficult to give any absolute answers via this forum but I would mention a few things.

In general, it's not uncommon to have areas of numbness in the distribution you describe for a while after surgery but I agree that it's disconcerting to have such a discrepancy at this stage.  Nerve damage is a known but rare complication of this surgery and, fortunately, most cases of nerve impairment subside on their own.  Four to six weeks is about the time in which one would expect this to get better but it can take longer.

On the other hand, the implant may be resting on the nerve in which case it may not get better on its own.  Direct nerve damage is also a possibility.

It might be a good idea for you to get another consultation or two, just to get an idea of what someone else who can see you in person might say.  It may help allay your concerns (hopefully, anyway!).  And in the meantime the symptoms may start to abate on their own which would obviously be the best case scenario.

I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS